What is Multi-gigabit Ethernet?
Multi-gigabit Ethernet overview
Multi-gigabit Ethernet paves the way for high-speed Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6 access points, as well as IoT devices, by delivering blazing fast performance and PoE support over existing cabling.
Using existing CAT5e and CAT6 twisted pair wiring, multi-gigabit Ethernet saves the expense and reduces the complexity of a new cabling infrastructure.
Why multi-gigabit Ethernet?
Today’s smart digital workplace puts crushing demands on campus networks. Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) saves the day by providing speeds of 2.5GbE and 5GbE PoE power while using existing cabling to save you time and money.
The skyrocketing use of smartphones, tablets, and IoT devices, combined with high-bandwidth workloads moving across wireless networks, requires that the network infrastructure evolve to meet these demands. This transformation means enterprises need to upgrade their WLAN infrastructure to support increased traffic, performance, and security requirements. With an increasing number of mobile and IoT devices reliant on wireless access, networks must be capable of accommodating a diverse mixture of device types, applications, and services.
Most of the Ethernet cabling deployed worldwide today is limited to 1Gbps at 100 meters. Until now, adding bandwidth has meant major new cabling investments.
Benefits of multi-gigabit Ethernet?
- Provides additional speed required by the latest access points and IoT devices.
- Uses existing cabling, avoiding the need to rip and replace your existing cabling infrastructure.
- Supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) standards for powering APs, security cameras, and other devices.
- IEEE 802.11ax APs can increase network capacity by 4 times, demanding more than 1 gigabyte speeds.
What is HPE Smart Rate multi-gigabit Ethernet?
HPE Smart Rate technology supports the industry standard IEEE 802.3bz and solves traffic bottlenecks without ripping and replacing existing twisted-pair cabling. The existing cabling infrastructure can be leveraged to protect existing investments and simplify upgrades to higher speed solutions.
- Smart Rate delivers 2.5-10 times more bandwidth capacity from existing cable infrastructure without expensive and disruptive cable upgrades.
- Smart Rate multi-gig switch ports support speeds of 2.5GbE and 5GbE. Select switches also support 100Mbps, 1GbE, and 10GbE. (See product data sheets.)
- With high power IEEE 802.3bt switches, Smart Rate switch ports provide up to 60W of PoE, regardless of the port speed. The mechanism used in Smart Rate for delivering and receiving power over twisted-pair structured cabling is fully compatible with IEEE 802.3bt and IEEE 802.3at PoE specifications.
- Smart Rate switching ports are auto-negotiating, which enables the Ethernet link to settle into the highest speed that can be achieved on a given cable configuration.
- Aruba’s 510 series 802.11ax access points include an integrated HPE Smart Rate port to deliver high performance Wi-Fi for mobile and IOT devices in environments where high density and diversity of applications is an issue.